Later that same year the SER line was extended to Margate. The route of this line can still be traced along Hurst Grove, Ashley Close, Highfield Road, past Jackey Bakers Sport Field, parallel with Margate Road, Nash Road and on to Margate SER (later known as the Sands Station). Trains from Canterbury bound for Margate had to reverse out of Ramsgate Town Station before continuing on to Margate. In 1864 a small station was opened on this SER line at St Lawrence, situated alongside Newington Bridge in Newington Road, but this station closed in 1916.
The various lines were rationalised in 1923 when taken over by Southern Railway. A new station was built for Ramsgate just east of the old St Lawrence Station and a new link line was constructed across a viaduct over Margate Road to join with the line from Broadstairs near where it entered the tunnel to Ramsgate Harbour. A new station was also built at Dumpton Park. The new line and stations opened in 1926 and Ramsgate Harbour station was closed at the same time. The line across Thanet from Ramsgate Town station was discontinued.
There were two notable incidents on the old lines, one at each of the old stations. On the 31st of August 1891 a train arriving at the Harbour station overrun the platform and crashed through a wall which enclosed the turntable. Details of this accident are scarce, but The Railways Archive records 1 fatality. Does anyone know more about this?